How to decide?

• 7 Replies

Offline benjammin420

• View Profile
How to decide?
« on: April 23, 2016, 09:38:19 PM »
I'm not (necessarily) looking for pickup suggestions, but I've decided that I want to try some Dimarzios (after getting Duncans and boutiques my last few outings) and I'm overwhelmed by how many offerings there are. I'm not looking for a specific sound (the stock pickups aren't bad) I had a FRED years ago and liked it, but I'm thinking of trying something else.

I guess I just pick one and roll the dice?

(I'm buying a Jackson Minion V in neon green and I like the idea of getting pickups with green bobbins)

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
Re: How to decide?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 10:13:25 PM »
What it about the FRED that you like and what are your goals for your next guitar?  If you could have something more or less from the FRED, what would it be?
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline benjammin420

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2016, 10:29:44 PM »
What it about the FRED that you like and what are your goals for your next guitar?  If you could have something more or less from the FRED, what would it be?

The FRED had a great sound, but was a bit on the thin side. Something a bit fatter (maybe a bit more output) would be nice. Both the Norton and Mo' Joe seem like a step-up from the FRED, but again its hard to choose one over the other without playing them

I have more experience with the JB, and while I like those, they can be too hot, and stuffy in the mid-range. The FRED was a bit more like the PAF repros I've had (in terms of clarity and sensitivity) which I liked, but something with a bit more girth and grunt would be great

I'm more of a blues-rock player and getting this guitar as a shredder for fun, so I feel out of my element. I could list some guitars I listen to, but I'm not necessarily trying to sound like any of them. The stock pickups aren't bad (like I said, I'm mostly looking to swap them for something green) but more 'modern' than I'm used to. I use a Marshall Class 5 and Fender Champ at home, and when I play with other people, I use whatever is at the studio

Thanks
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 10:48:21 PM by benjammin420 »

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 04:17:06 PM »
The Mo Joe might be a good option. A lot like the FRED, but just a little bit hotter and slightly fuller. It's not night and day different, so you can definitely tell they are cut from the same cloth.

Offline benjammin420

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2016, 09:19:34 PM »
Have you ever tried a FRED in the neck position? The website says it's doable, I thought about maybe getting another FRED, and if I end up not liking it in the bridge I could move it to the neck.

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 08:58:14 AM »
Have you ever tried a FRED in the neck position? The website says it's doable, I thought about maybe getting another FRED, and if I end up not liking it in the bridge I could move it to the neck.

Personally, I have not. I've tried the PAF Joe and the Satch Track in the neck.

Now that you mention that, having heard the FRED and the PAF Pro...and how the latter is suggest for both positions, I can see where that might not be a bad idea for the FRED.

Offline Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 06:08:18 PM »
Id try a breed neck in the bridge.

I think of both the breed neck and fred as belonging to the 'paf pro family' (as well as a couple of others). Compared to the paf pro the fred has a slight mid range bump and the breed neck is louder and fatter.

To me the breed sounds like the next logical step up from the fred. After that go up to a Norton.

Breed neck in the neck and a Norton bridge could be very cool.

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 10:48:56 PM »
Why "roll the dice" and risk wasting time and money when you have an idea what you want the pickup to do?

You say you like the Fred but want something fatter. You say you like the JB but it is stuffy in the mid-range. You say you lean toward blues rock, but want a shredder. Sounds like your amps are more vintage than modern.

Taking all of that into account, I would suggest the AT-1 or Air Zone.